Pebble Hill Plantation

IMG_5020 copy 2

[Thomasville Georgia, Pebble Hill Plantation Family Cemetery]


Located in Thomas County, Southwest Georgia. Thomas Jefferson Johnson first came to the area when he was 25 years old. He acquired the initial Pebble Hill acreage in 1825 and built the first house on the property in 1827. He continued to add to his land holdings and was recognized as a very successful planter in the area. During this time, Johnson also wrote the bill to create Thomas County. Johnson and his first wife had three children, but only one survived to adulthood. When Johnson died in 1847, his daughter, Julia Ann, inherited Pebble Hill. She was 21 years old at that time. She married John William Henry Mitchell in 1849 and together they continued to operate Pebble Hill as a successful working farm. In 1850, they replaced the original residence with one designed by English architect, John Wind. When Mitchell died in 1865, the strong-willed Julia Ann determined to continue the farming operations on Pebble Hill. She struggled in the throes of the post-war depression and died in 1881. Not surprisingly, by this time Pebble Hill was in a serious state of disrepair.

Pebble Hill sold in 1896 to Howard Melville Hanna of Cleveland, Ohio. He was a brother to Marc Hanna, the Ohio senator who guided McKinley to the U. S. Presidency. Hanna gave the Pebble Hill property to his daughter, Kate Benedict Hanna Ireland, in 1901. Kate was married twice. Her first husband, with whom she had two children, was Robert Livingston Ireland. Their children were Robert Livingston “Liv” Ireland, Jr. and Elisabeth “Pansy” Ireland. Her second marriage was in 1923 to Perry Williams Harvey. Kate was mistress of Pebble Hill until her death in 1936. Tragedy struck in 1934 when the 1850 portion of the Main House was destroyed by fire. The Loggia wing, added in 1914, was saved from the fire and was included in the plans for the new house. The new house was constructed in the following 18 months and was completed in January, 1936. Kate died in May of 1936, and her daughter, Pansy, became Pebble Hill’s mistress. In the 1950s, Pansy established the Pebble Hill Foundation, a private foundation which she endowed. At her death, her will dictated that the Pebble Hill property would go to the Foundation and that Pebble Hill would become a museum open to the public.


Fisher Grave


[Information/Epitaph transcribed from the photo above]
[Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola, Florida]
[Old City Graveyard]

“In Memory of
Johnnie Fisher
July 15, 1871
Sept. 5, 1888
Aged 17 yrs. 1 mo. 20 ds.

A [precious] one from us has gone,
A [?] loved is stilled,
A place is vacant in our home,
Which never can be filled,
God in his wisdom has recalled,
The one his love has given,
And though the body moulders there,
The soul is safe in heaven.

Erected by his father
H.J. Fisher”

Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola

[Old City Graveyard]


[Information transcribed from the photo above, a sign erected by The Apalachicola Historical Society]

“Chestnut Street Cemetery dates prior to 1831. Interred are some of Apalachicola’s founders and molders of her colorful history. Also buried here are many soldiers of the Confederacy and victims of yellow fever and shipwrecks. Seven of the Confederate veterans served with Pickett at Gettysburg in the gallant Florida Brigade.
World famed botanist, Dr. Alvin Wentworth Chapman, of Apalachicola died in 1899, and is interred here beside the grave of his wife.

Sponsored by the Apalachicola Historical Society
in cooperation with Department of State, Bureau
of Historic Preservation [,] 1970″


The oldest tombstone dates from 1831, but it is quite possible that the cemetery was in use before that date. Wooden markers have disappeared over the years.

A walk through Chestnut Cemetery is in reality a remarkable walk back through time. Key figures of Southern history are buried there and the inscriptions on the tombs of others whose names have been forgotten illuminate the past. [Other] graves tell of drownings and deaths from cholera accidents. One monument was placed by a steamboat company in 1860 to memorialize an employee who died in a tragic accident aboard the paddlewheel boat John C. Calhoun.

…in the cemetery rest victims of fevers, including the notorious “Yellow Jack” or yellow fever that ravaged the Gulf Coast in the 1840s. The fever was so deadly that it assured the end of the nearby city of St. Joseph, one-time rival to Apalachicola.

For more information on this historic site and those who have been interred therein, please visit the site mentioned above.

The history of Apalachicola is incredibly colorful, and being a coastal site, the sea air gives further ambience to the area. This cemetery is a pleasure to walk through, and it is open during daylight hours to the public.